Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Neem Oil On Fruit Trees


Stanley Prune-Plum Dwarf Supreme




Stark Lodi Apple Dwarf
     We were so blessed when we moved into our house about a year ago. The people who lived here before had done so much work on the yard. They put in all these fruit trees. Some of them are not labeled because I'm not sure what they are yet. Last spring I had a 4 month old, so I really didn't get to spend much time outside. I'm trying to do a little more this spring. I have a magazine somewhere that labels the other trees, so when I find it I will label the others. 
       
      I am definitely having problems with worms getting the fruit that has come in. The apple tree is full of apples now. I will have to take more pictures soon and share them. Their are lots of nectarines but all seem to be worm infested. That really grosses me out. Before I found out that I had Candida, I didn't eat a lot of fruit. So I wasn't really planning on trying to care for the fruit trees too much. Now that I'm off of sugar, fruit is so delicious to me and I really want to get fruit from these trees.  I do not want to use chemicals or pesticides, and came across a natural alternative: Neem Oil. 

"Neem oil has many benefits and is used in various ways. The neem oil is actually a vegetable oil that is extracted from the fruits and the seeds of neem. Neem tree oil is made from the extract of the plant."  This quote is from Buzzle.


The research I have read indicates that it is safe for birds and beneficial insects. Here is some more information about Neem oil on Buzzle. It seems that the Neem oil needs to be reapplied several time throughout the growing season and doesn't kill the insects, it just keeps them from reproducing. I have only done one application and I'm sure it will take more to start controlling the insects. I would love comments from anyone who has more information about Neem Oil or has used it before. I know precaution should be used around cats or aquatic areas. Please do your own research before using the product to make sure its the right option for you.   I will provide updates as I continue to use the product. 

"Neem oil is also used as an effective insecticide. This has been used for hundreds of years in controlling plant pests and diseases. It is known that the spray solution of neem oil helps to prevent the problems caused by common pests like bugs, spider mites, locusts, thrips, white flies, aphids etc. This oil also acts as a very effective fungicide. Neem oil is very bitter to taste and this is why the bugs would keep away once the leaves are sprayed with the neem oil."  This quote is directly from Buzzle.  Click on the link to read more about the benefits of Neem oil.                             
Enterprise Apple Dwarf Supreme
Hardired Giant Nectarine Dwarf Supreme
Pear
                  
                                                                                      

  Fruit tree -unknown
                                                           

Fruit tree - unknown
                                                       

    Nectarine or peach tree
Fruit tree - unknown
                                                         


                                                               

Plum or prune tree
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment